A&E

Review: ‘Lady Bird’ is a must-see coming of age story

By Jacob VanHoutan, Staff Writer

“Lady Bird” is the brainchild of writer and director Greta Gerwig. The film is about Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson (Saoirse Ronan) who is a high school student going through adolescence and complicated relationships with her friends and family. The film also stars Laurie Metcalf and Tracy Letts as Lady Bird’s mother and father respectively with Beanie Feldstein playing her best friend.

“Lady Bird” is a cinematic marvel. The film balances comedy and drama so well that it is sure to be a crowd pleaser. It examines the life of Lady Bird in such a thought-provoking way and makes her such an interesting character to follow and examine. The story does a terrific job of telling itself in a unique way that makes this seemingly played-out genre feel new again.

Part of that feeling comes from the performance by Saoirse Ronan. She is truly remarkable in this role and is just a joy to watch on screen. But the secret to this film working so well is the relationship Lady Bird has with her mother, and Laurie Metcalf deserves a ton of credit for her work in the film. Her character is very tough on Lady Bird because of just how high her expectations of her daughter are. She pushes her constantly, and that causes their relationship to be strained. The chemistry between Ronan and Metcalf is palpable on screen.

Tracy Letts delivers a terrific performance as the soft-spoken father. The rest of the cast does a wonderful job as well. Beanie Feldstein is terrific as Lady Bird’s best friend, and Jordan Rodriguez plays Lady Bird’s brother and brings a unique and hilarious perspective to the film.

“Lady Bird” is simply one of the best films of the year. It is a coming of age story, but the film takes the genre and does something truly special with it. Greta Gerwig delivers a film that has as much comedy as it does great drama.

“Lady Bird” is a must-see film, and I recommend that everyone go see it as soon as you can.

This article first appeared in the Friday, December 8, 2017, Edition of The Echo.