Sports

Swim and Dive takes on Iowa Invite

John Kipper, Staff Writer

Last weekend, the Auggie Swim and Dive competed in the Norse Sprint Invitational hosted by Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. There were no official team scores kept, and that worked in favor for Augsburg, as only four competed that day. The lone four were first-year Morgan Mangel, sophomores Autumn Francois, Amanda Pedersen and junior Carli Kirchoff. The going was tough early in team events with the Auggies being disqualified from the 200-yard medley relay. Undeterred, they came back and finished eleventh in the 200-yard freestyle relay.
Individually, they fared pretty well against the mostly larger schools. Francois placed thirteenth in the 50- yard backstroke with a time of 33.95 seconds. Pedersen competed in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard, recording times of 29.48 and 1:06.00, respectively. Kirchoff finished tenth in the 50-yard backstroke, with a time of 32.73 seconds, her second-fastest time for that event this season. Additionally, she swam the 50- and 100- yard freestyle, finishing with times of 28.18 and 1:01.75, respectively. Mangel had the best all-around performance for the Auggies, finishing fourth in the 50-yard freestyle, seventh in the 100-yard freestyle, and twelfth in the 100- yard backstroke. She posted her second fastest times of the season in the 50 and 100, finishing the races in 26.27 seconds and 58.06 seconds, respectively.
The Auggies will compete next in the Hamline University Triangular against Hamline and Concordia. The meet will be at Bush Pool in St. Paul on Jan. 26.

This article first appeared in the Friday, January 19, 2018, Edition of The Echo.