Sports

Augsburg Men’s Hoops stay hot

Jackson Gerber, Staff Writer

After dismantling Gustavus 90-59 last Wednesday, the Augsburg Men’s Basketball team continued their offensive dominance against Macalester winning 110-86. 15 players saw action with 11 of them getting into the box score on the night.
The Auggies were led in scoring by senior Collin Olmscheid who dropped 27 points on 50% shooting as well as going a perfect 13-13 at the free throw line. This was Olmscheid’s eighth 20-point performance on the season, and he is currently second in the MIAC with 18.6 points per game. Olmscheid wasn’t the only Auggie who put up solid numbers. Senior Chany Pal put together one of his best performances in an Augsburg uniform, scoring a career-high 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting and a perfect 6-6 from the line. He also chipped in with five rebounds and two steals.
Sophomore Booker Coplin was a rebound shy of a double-double, contributing 14 points to go along with nine rebounds. Coplin also had five assists and four steals on the night. The bench was productive as well with first-year Matt Carik and sophomore Henry Mulligan both scoring nine points and sophomore Martin Mitchell adding eight.
Augsburg shot 35 of 40 from the charity stripe on the night, and these were both season highs. The Auggies also forced 25 turnovers which they turned into 32 points. Augsburg travels to Winona to take on St. Mary’s University on Saturday.

This article first appeared in the Friday, January 26, 2018, Edition of The Echo.