News

Mailroom robbery flies under radar

Kelton Holsen, Features Editor

Nineteen students and one staff member at Augsburg received an email from Augsburg Manager of Purchasing and Central Services, Jill Davenport, on Feb. 8. The email informed them that on the previous evening, there had been a break-in at Augsburg’s Shipping and Receiving Center. It advised the affected students to “contact the company from which you ordered your item” as “they may replace it at no charge with your proof of theft.” It also instructed those affected to contact Davenport if the item could not be replaced.
According to Davenport, the theft was discovered by shipping center employees shortly before 7:30 a.m.. 23 packages were reportedly stolen, as well as two empty cash registers, valued at approximately $300 each.
Michael Olderr, one of the students robbed said, “I’m upset that [the robbery] happened.” Olderr has not yet heard back on whether his package has been recovered.
According to the Department of Public Safety (DPS), there was no sign of a forced entry, and the theft occurred after staff had left for the evening. A handcart abandoned in the 21st Ave tunnel entrance suggested that the thief/thieves unloaded their stolen cargo into a vehicle and drove off. No vehicle information has been obtained.
According to a shipping center employee, some of the stolen packages were abandoned in the science building and have since been returned to the shipping center. At least one victim has received an email from Shipping and Receiving indicating that their package has arrived. Most of the packages have yet to be recovered.
According to DPS’s website, “Crime Alerts and Advisories are distributed for incidents that occurred on, or in areas immediately adjacent to, university property.” Although the break-in at the shipping center occurred on campus, no such alert or advisory was distributed, and there has been no information about the robbery in the A-Mail.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should contact either DPS at (612) 330-1717 or the Minneapolis Police Department at (612) 692-8477.

This article first appeared in the Friday, February 23, 2018, Edition of The Echo.