Augsburg prepares for annual Auggie Awards
Joe Rydel, Sports Editor
In what has become an annual event, the Augsburg University Athletic Department will yet again host Auggie Awards on Monday, April 17. The event is a celebration of the great accomplishments of athletes, teams and coaches both in competition and in the classroom. Here is a look ahead to some of the projected highlights, individuals and teams that are being considered for awards:
- Men’s Team of the Year:
- Editor’s pick: Wrestling. It is hard to argue with the statistics. This is a group that took home numerous All-Americans and two national champions along with a team that came in second place at the national tournament.
- Women’s Team of the Year:
- Editor’s pick: Soccer. This is a very tough and close decision. Ultimately, it comes down to soccer being a MIAC contender each year and their late season push last fall for a #1 seed in the MIAC playoffs.
- Men’s Athlete of the Year, Team Sport:
- Nick Heene (Football)
- Josh Marlowe (Baseball)
- Collin Olmscheid (Basketball)
- Nick Schmit (Hockey)
- Editor’s Pick: This award has to go to Collin Olmscheid. Collin does it all on the floor: He can play defense, rebound, shoot, run and pass. Collin was crucial to the team’s success and appearance in the NCAA tournament.
- Women’s Athlete of the Year, Team Sport:
- Samantha Anderson (Softball)
- Lauren Jennings (Soccer)
- Ashley St. Aubin (Soccer)
- Macey Terhell (Volleyball)
- Editor’s Pick: Ashley St. Aubin. St. Aubin is an incredible soccer player who has lead the Auggies to playoff appearances in both her years on the team. She is a threat on both ends of the field and can really do it all.
This article first appeared in the Friday, April 13, Edition of The Echo.