Joe Rydel, Sports Editor
In what has become an annual event, the Augsburg University Athletic Department will yet again host Auggie Awards on Monday, April 17. The event is a celebration of the great accomplishments of athletes, teams and coaches both in competition and in the classroom. Here is a look ahead to some of the projected highlights, individuals and teams that are being considered for awards:
- Men’s Team of the Year:
- Editor’s pick: Wrestling. It is hard to argue with the statistics. This is a group that took home numerous All-Americans and two national champions along with a team that came in second place at the national tournament.
- Women’s Team of the Year:
- Editor’s pick: Soccer. This is a very tough and close decision. Ultimately, it comes down to soccer being a MIAC contender each year and their late season push last fall for a #1 seed in the MIAC playoffs.
- Men’s Athlete of the Year, Team Sport:
- Nick Heene (Football)
- Josh Marlowe (Baseball)
- Collin Olmscheid (Basketball)
- Nick Schmit (Hockey)
- Editor’s Pick: This award has to go to Collin Olmscheid. Collin does it all on the floor: He can play defense, rebound, shoot, run and pass. Collin was crucial to the team’s success and appearance in the NCAA tournament.
- Women’s Athlete of the Year, Team Sport:
- Samantha Anderson (Softball)
- Lauren Jennings (Soccer)
- Ashley St. Aubin (Soccer)
- Macey Terhell (Volleyball)
- Editor’s Pick: Ashley St. Aubin. St. Aubin is an incredible soccer player who has lead the Auggies to playoff appearances in both her years on the team. She is a threat on both ends of the field and can really do it all.
This article first appeared in the Friday, April 13, Edition of The Echo.