Sports

Auggie track and field officially begins season

Jackson Gerber, Sports Editor

The 2019 track and field season is officially underway as the men’s and women’s track teams began their season under first-year head coach Keith Barnier earlier this month.

Many of the Auggies were able to knock the rust off at the University of St. Thomas Invitational on Friday, Jan. 18. On the women’s side, Sophomore Jada Lewis was out to prove she is still at the top of the MIAC as she claimed her first victory of the season in the 60-meter dash. Her time of 7.99 seconds is currently fourth in the MIAC. Senior thrower Kenna Bannister claimed two third-place finishes in the weight throw and shot put, while freshman Jordan Terry jumped her way to a fourth-place finish in the long jump.

The men’s team was led by freshman Mohamed Salad who placed fourth in the mile run with a time of 4:36.23.   Sophomore Alex Bailey finished sixth in the high jump, clearing 1.75 meters, which has him tied for 12th in the MIAC. First year Gabe Olajonlu made his debut, finishing 10th in the 200-meter dash.

Augsburg then traveled to Menomonie, Wisc., to compete in the UW-Stout Warren Bowlus Open. Kenna Bannister had a tremendous performance, crushing her previous personal best in the weight throw by more than two feet. Her 12.43-meter (40-feet-9.5 inch) throw put her at 13th in a stacked field. She also finished 14th in the shot put. Lewis finished seventh in the 60-meter dash.

For the men, Miracle Adebanjo placed 11th with a 23.79 second performance in the 200-meter dash, while freshman Parker Blake finished 14th in the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.90. Alex Bailey equaled his performance from the previous week, putting him at eighth place for the meet.

Both the men and women will compete at the Bethel Gene Glader Invitational on Sat., Feb. 2.

This article was originally published in the Feb. 2, 2019 issue.