Opinions

Warrior Women Film Review

Capri Bryant, Contributor

This past weekend, I was able to attend the free screening of Warrior Women in the Sateren Auditorium. When I first saw the event listed on Inside Augsburg, I was intrigued and immediately added it to my calendar. I was not sure what to expect; I knew that it would be a learning experience, and honestly I was curious. Walking in, I suspected that the film would be an everyday documentary you might find on PBS or a streaming site. However, what I saw was incredibly eye-opening, and calling it a learning experience was an understatement. 

The picture follows a mother and daughter fighting for equal rights of Indigenous people and the sovereignty of Indigenous land, with a specific focus on South Dakota. The movie touches on climate change and the pollution of the land. With archived footage from the 1960s and current day documentation, this film felt honest and authentic in every sense. After the showing, audience members were able to participate in a Q&A with the director and the featured activist. 

Over a hundred people showed up to watch the film, and I know that all of us were glad we did. The only thing that I can say I did not like was the fact that the auditorium was not filled to capacity. A lot of older folks from the local community came, which I appreciate, but I feel that a lot of students missed out. 

Some teachers offered extra credit to students who went to see the film if they wrote a reflection, and a handful of Auggies were there, but it did not feel like it was being sought after by students. It could have been a lack of publicity, but I wish I saw more familiar faces amongst the crowd. 

I did like the opportunity that the film provided for the people who could go. The film was a great medium for informing the audience about the injustices and the plight of Native American people, and it was successful at showcasing the ups and downs of life for activists. I appreciate that films of this caliber are being shown at Augsburg. 

Thankfully, our social culture is shifting, and people are choosing to become more aware of social and societal issues. People are educating themselves and taking responsibility for their ignorance. Not only is this a personal stepping stone, but ultimately, it keeps society moving forward. 

This article was originally published in the October 11, 2019 issue.