Playoff run ends in upset after triumphant end to regular season


The Augsburg University Women’s Soccer team entered into their final regular season matchup with a playoff spot already locked up and at least a share of the conference title in hand. That certainly didn’t stop the team from an impressive performance in a dramatic game.

St. Olaf came into the match as potential spoilers; a win would have propelled the Oles to a share of the MIAC conference title and allowed them to leap-frog the Auggies for the number one seed in the upcoming playoffs.

Playing on a chilly evening at Edor Nelson Field, junior Jessy Wiscofske put the Auggies up 1-0 with a goal late in the first half off of a corner kick from Ashley St. Aubin. Sophomore Emily Chapman kept the Oles off the board with strong goalkeeping in the first half.

The second half saw a fierce push by the St. Olaf attack that culminated in a goal from Emily Helle in the 56th minute scoring a goal on senior goalkeeper Marissa Gulliou. While the two teams continued to trade chances through the rest of regulation, the score remained tied and the game entered into sudden death overtime.

The first overtime session saw incredibly fast-paced action as the two teams attempted to finish one another. Despite a litany of chances by the Oles, Gulliou turned away several challenges and kept the Auggies in the game as the first overtime period expired.

In the second overtime period, Ciara Gregory found some space and accelerated up the right side. In a tight foot race with her defender, Gregory took a shot from a sharp angle that was knocked away by St. Olaf goalkeeper Brynne Davis. Gregory then picked up the ball just before it went out of bounds. It found St. Aubin at the top of the box, and St. Aubin wasted no time burying a shot that bent around Davis into the bottom left corner of the net.

That goal was Ashley St. Aubin’s MIAC leading 16th Goal and 36th point on the year.

The top-seeded Auggie’s playoff run ended in a heartbreaking upset by fifth seed St. Kate’s on Wed. Oct. 1. Allie Bird netted a goal eleven minutes into the contest for the lone goal of the night. The Auggies put multiple shots on net in the second half, but none came to fruition as the game ended with a score of 1-0.

*Featured photo by Noah Anderson

This article first appeared in the Friday, November 3, 2017, Edition of The Echo.