Sports

Sweep of Bethel keeps Men’s Hockey undefeated

By Undre Smith-Brewer, Staff Writer

Last weekend, the Men’s Hockey team outscored Bethel 13-5 in the first MIAC competition of the season, completing the sweep of the two game series with a 6-1 victory at home in the Ed Saugestad Rink.     

In the first game at Bethel, the score was a little tighter, but 15 of the 18 Auggie skaters figured in the scoring to secure a 7-4 victory. Seven different Auggies scored goals in the contest. They made sure the scoreboard was working early, scoring twice in a span of only twenty seconds before the three minute mark of the game. Juniors Alex Rodriguez and Jake Larson scored first-period goals along with senior Eli May. They built a 5-0 advantage by the 8:54 mark of the second period.   

The power play was huge for Augsburg with the final three goals coming off of the power play. Juniors Luke Dietsch and Eric Brenk scored goals along with sophomore John O’Connor at the 8:50 mark of the second period, final minute of the second period and the 17:54 mark of the final period respectively. Junior Goalie Nick Schmit had a 26 save effort in the game. Brenk had a great weekend scoring two goals and recorded an assist in game two of the series. He has a team-high five goals and is now tied for the MIAC lead in goals. Brenk was also named MIAC Men’s Hockey Athlete of the Week.   

Senior Drew Anderson recorded two assists to give him a team-high seven assists on the season which leads the MIAC. Dietsch scored a goal and recorded an assist to give him a team-high nine points for the season with four goals and five assists which is tied for the lead in the MIAC. First year Charlie Parker scored his first ever collegiate goal in the third period. Augsburg outshot Bethel 38-25 and Schmit recorded 24 saves to secure the win.     

Augsburg is one of just three NCAA Division III men’s hockey teams that are unbeaten and untied through the first three weekends of the season, and the lone team with six wins. Augsburg is ranked number three in the latest USCHO.com Division III national poll and number eight in the D3hockey.com national poll.    

Augsburg returns to MIAC play with a series next weekend against Saint Mary’s. The series-opener is on Friday at 7 p.m. in Winona, Minn., with the second game next Saturday at 7 p.m. at Ed Saugestad Rink.

This article first appeared in the Friday, November 17, 2017, Edition of The Echo.