Sports

Women’s basketball takes first conference win

By John Kipper, Staff Writer

In their first conference game, the Auggies put together a solid performance and came away with a 69-59 victory over St. Mary’s and rose to 4-2 on the season. Camryn Speese led the way, scoring 16 and grabbing 10 boards for her first double-double of the season.

Fellow sophomore Tamira McLemore also recorded her first double-double, scoring 13 and pulling down 10 rebounds. K’Aezha Wubben was the most efficient Auggie of the night, scoring 16 points on 11 shot attempts.

As a team, Augsburg overcame struggles with 3-point shooting and exploited St. Mary’s interior defense, carving the Cardinals up for 48 points inside the paint.

Defensively, the Auggies played exceptionally well, limiting St. Mary’s to shooting 31.3% from the field, and 20.8% from behind the arc. Junior forward Brandi Blattner kept them in the game, and she had a career night scoring 27 points, nabbing 15 rebounds and accounting for half of the Cardinals’ 28 points at half-time. Other than that, no other Cardinal player scored more than nine.

The Auggies are a dangerous team, and they are displaying poise unexpected of a young crew. They endured a 10-0 run from SMU in the first quarter, and then they responded by regaining the lead and never trailing for the rest of the game. They avoided making costly mistakes, and they will continue to improve as conference play continues.

This article first appeared in the Friday, December 8, 2017, Edition of The Echo.