Sports

Men’s basketball shooting lights-out

By Jackson Gerber, Staff Writer

The Augsburg men’s basketball team used a hot shooting performance to dismantle St. Mary’s University last Saturday at Si-Melby Hall by a score of 93-74.

The Auggies shot a remarkable 54% from the field, including 50% from three-point range en route to a dominating performance. Sophomore Henry Mulligan lead the Auggies in scoring by posting a career-high 16 points. Mulligan was one of five Auggie’s that scored in double figures.

Senior Nick Sabatke and Sophomore Booker Coplin each scored 14 points while Senior Collin Olmscheid added 13 points. Olmscheid has now scored in double figures in nine straight games dating back to last season. Senior Chany Pal contributed 10 points while leading the Auggies on the boards as well by grabbing nine rebounds. Senior Harry Sonnie continued to distribute the ball by putting up six assists on the night. Sonnie is now second in the MIAC in assists per game.

Part of the reason the Auggies have been so dominant in their five-game winning streak is that they are averaging 82.6 points per game while holding opponents to just 66.2 points per game. They have used a balanced scoring attack on offense with four guys averaging double-figure scoring through five games. The Auggies have also capitalized on mistakes made by their opponents by scoring 23.0 points off turnovers. With a hot offense and a stifling defense, the Auggies hope to continue their dominating start to the season.

This article first appeared in the Friday, December 8, 2017, Edition of The Echo.