Sports

Fall season in full swing for Auggie golf

Jackson Gerber, Staff Writer

The Auggie men’s and women’s golf teams have been hitting the links these past weeks with some solid showings from both squads.

The men started out with a sixth-place finish in their opening invite at Ham Lake. Juniors Harrison Cooper and Brett Buckingham both recorded top-ten finishes to pace the Auggies on the weekend, with Cooper finishing tied for fifth and Buckingham tied for 10th. Augsburg improved on their team standing with a third place finish the following weekend at the University of St. Thomas Pioneer Creek Collegiate meet. Buckingham and sophomore Gunnar Goodmanson were the top finishers, tying for 27th place. The teams three-round total of 896 is tied for the fourth lowest 54-hole finish in team history, and their final round score of 290 is tied for 10th lowest single-round score.

The women have also competed twice on the young season; the first being at the College of St. Benedict Invite Labor Day weekend. Augsburg opened up with a 12th-place finish at the Blackberry Ridge Golf Course in Sartell. Sophomore Karina Kafka led the Auggies with a 30th-place finish in the 78-golfer event. Her 36-hole score of 168 and final round score of 80 were both collegiate bests.

The Auggies then competed at the St. Mary’s Meet where three golfers, Emma Kraft, Karina Kafka and Isabel Karbo, all placed in the top 20. As a team, Augsburg finished fifth on the weekend.

Augsburg continues their season this weekend with the men competing in the Gustavus Twins Cities Classic and the women at the St. Catherine Invitational.

This article first appeared in the Friday, September 21 edition of The Echo.