Sports

Defensive Struggles Doom Men’s Hockey

Greg Miller, Staff Writer

The past two weekends have been subpar for the Augsburg men’s hockey team, as they split the series against Saint Mary’s before traveling to rival St. Norbert’s where they fell in a blowout loss. 

The weekend series with Saint Mary’s started in Winona, where the Auggies found themselves down 4-0 after two periods before allowing three power-play goals in the final period to go down 7-0. Sophomore Gavin Holland put home his team-leading 10th goal of the season late in the third period, but it was too little, too late for the Auggies as they fell hard in a 7-1 loss. These seven goals were the most the Auggies have allowed this season. 

The Auggies came out blazing in the second game of the series, scoring 15 seconds into the game when Charlie Parker put one home for the Auggies. Augsburg did not stop there, as Fritz Belisle and Grant Reichenbacher were also able to score before the end of the period to give the Auggies a 3-0 lead. The Auggies were able to build on that lead with power-play goals by Austin Martinsen and Jason Krych, giving the Auggies a 5-0 lead, and they were able to ride that out to a 5-2 win.

The following weekend, Augsburg headed to De Pere, Wisconsin, to take on St. Norbert, the team that has knocked them out of the national tournament the past four years. The Auggies got out to a strong start as halfway through the first period Reichenbacher was able to net his ninth goal of the season, but before the end of the period, St. Norbert was able to tie it up. The Auggies were not able to muster any more offensive success, and St Norbert scored another point in the second and four in the third, handing the Auggies a 6-1 loss. 

The Auggies are still on top of the MIAC with four games left to play in the season, finishing the season with series against Concordia-Moorhead and St. Thomas in the coming weekends. The Auggies will look to hold on to the top spot to secure home-ice advantage throughout the MIAC tournament. 

%d bloggers like this: